Graduate Assistantship Appointments
The CCSS Data Science Fellows program is designed to give outstanding Cornell graduate students the opportunity to advance their computational social science training within the CCSS’s diverse and intellectually vibrant community.
Additional fellowships offered by CCSS:
Pre and post-A-Exam doctoral candidates who matriculated at Cornell University are eligible to apply to the CCSS Data Science Fellows Program when applications are accepted. We welcome applicants from all academic disciplines and methodological approaches. Fellowships are for one year, including the summer, and include desk space and access to computational resources. Moreover, we offer you a valuable co-working experience alongside campus experts in which you will gain access to professional experiences unparalleled on campus.
CCSS Data Science Fellowships are awarded to both facilitate and recognize significant contributions to one or more core areas in service to the CCSS community and constituencies. Fellows will contribute to training activities, such as curriculum development, instruction, consulting and mentorship in computational social science-related topic areas, the development of online learning resources, and/or research activities that require the application of computational social science tools and methods. For example, researchers may apply methods of survey design research, text analysis, and machine learning.
- Most importantly, a willingness to learn programming languages and software packages
- Prior research experience using data
- Passion and rigor for research, teaching, and consulting
- Good interpersonal skills and independent problem-solving abilities
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Ability to plan and implement program activities
- Experience discussing research design and unpacking how to operationalize research implementation
- Programming languages for computational social sciences, such as Python and R
- Familiarity with Jupyter notebooks and Github repositories
- Knowledge of a statistical package in R or other packages, such as STATA and SPSS
- Prior experience working with digital data archives or repositories
- Experience with Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing, network analysis, and/or geospatial analysis
- Any dissertation topic that employs computational social scientific methods or qualitative data analysis tools in unique and exciting ways
- Dissertations that make use of innovative data sets and/or combine large-scale datasets
- The Fellow will commit to participation in the program for at least a two-semester appointment.
- The Fellow will meet with their assigned CCSS Contact weekly.
- The Fellow will attend the All Fellows Meetings weekly.
- The Fellow will contribute at least three substantive blog posts to the CCSS website per semester.
- The Fellow will present at least three workshops or talks each semester.
- The Fellow will contribute to the CCSS community in one or more of the following areas:
- The specifics of these contributions will be determined with the CCSS Contact and Executive Director at the start of the Fellow appointment. However, all Fellows should be listed as consultants even if they take relatively few appointments.
- The Fellow will submit an end-of-semester report detailing the Fellow’s work and accomplishments for each semester.
- In-depth work and collaboration with the CCSS Executive Director and another research support staff member, along with contact with the CCSS Director.
- A clear set of expectations and deliverables at the start of each semester.Desk space in a CCSS Office
- “All Fellows Meetings” to develop community, report progress, and share best practices.
What are the requirements for the letter of intent?
There are no formatting or length requirements for the letter of intent.
What role will my advisor or references play in my application?
We ask for your advisor’s name for the purpose of creating a complementary team. We will not be calling or requesting formal written references from your advisor or the references you provide. However, we will briefly touch base with your references as HR requires two references for hiring.
Will this program be offered again? Can I apply more than once?
Yes, we plan to continue the program each year.
Applicants may apply more than once.
Is deferment an option?
Deferments will be considered on an individual basis
For questions about this program, please contact Katie Anderson email@example.com